Auto Windshield and Glass Replacement
Published: 03/03/2011 by AutoShopit
Let us help you find the best auto windshield and glass replacement companies. Read for some tips.
Broken Car Window or Windshield
The windshield of a car is not there for style or simply for protecting you from the wind. It is a safety device that protects drivers from debris and other objects that could hit you in the face while driving. The windshield is also there to prevent you from being thrown from the vehicle in case of an accident so it is essential that if it is cracked you replace it immediately. It is also a good idea to hire an auto glass specialist to replace the broken glass because if it is not installed properly there can be unfortunate repercussions. However, if you have experience in doing this yourself, keep these auto glass repair tips in mind:
- You must first remove the rearview mirror, wiper blades and plastic.
- Another auto glass repair tip is to wear disposable gloves to prevent the oil on your hands from getting on the windshield.
- Use a sharp knife to break the urethane seal surrounding the glass. This may take up to an hour because urethane is very strong so be careful when doing this.
- After the seal is broken, push the damaged windshield from the inside of the car.
- Clean dirt from the pinch weld with a brush then add primer to the pinch weld.
- Apply a glass primer to the perimeter of the windshield then add urethane.
- Put the auto glass replacement in the frame and attach the clips and plastic moldings.
- Re-attach the rearview mirror and wiper blades.
What You Can Get From Your Glass Replacement Shop
You can get all the necessary tools that are required for the auto windshield in the glass replacement shop. This includes things such as gloves, brush, primer, urethane, windshield glass and all the other necessities. It is important to keep the auto glass repair tips in mind if you have any issues with the windshield. Of course, an auto mechanic can make this process less complicated by doing the work for you, but oftentimes the challenge is simply finding a reputable repair shop.
Finding the Best Glass Replacement Shop
One very important auto glass repair tip to remember is that you have to shop around if you really want to find a good mechanic. You should ask people in the area because word travels fast so if there is a great auto shop in the area you will certainly hear about it. You can also enlist the help of friends and family members who have had their windshields replaced. Inspect the vehicle and see if you can find any faults with the job that was done, if it looks sloppy and unprofessional you may want to pass on that one for your windshield replacement.
If you are serious about finding the best mechanic in your area to replace your windshield glass, the internet is an ideal place to search. By using our site you can browse the listings of all the mechanics in your area that specialize in windshield glass treatment, view the ratings and read the customer reviews then chose who you feel comfortable working with. Yes it can be that simple!